台灣首位二次CNN受訪-張惠妹



TAIWAN’S GOLDEN GIRL OF MUSIC A-MEI ON CNN’S TALK ASIA 

A-mei may play to sold-out concerts and boast an armful of awards, but the Taiwan singer is no ordinary pop star. While she's enjoyed the spoils of fame for the past 15 years, the 38-year old has stayed true to her indigenous roots and used her aboriginal heritage to influence her music. This week on Talk Asia Anjali Rao catches up with the eclectic musician to talk about her rise to fame, her recent image overhaul and how she got caught up in cross-straits politics. 

Born into an aboriginal clan in eastern Taiwan, Chang Hui-Mei, known by her stage name A-mei, reveals she found it difficult transitioning from tribal life to the fast-paced life of a performer: "It took me about three to four years to adjust to the fact that I need to approach things differently compared to when I was in the tribe...I had to transform my introverted and rather shy personality into an artist who has to have the ability to excite tens of thousands of fans on stage." 

A-mei broke into mainstream music with her debut single "Sisters", which incorporated tribal rhythms. In addition to drawing inspiration from her heritage, now the singer tries to draw attention to other Taiwanese minorities and aboriginal singers, something she shied away from at first: "Perhaps at the time, I was a bit concerned about publicly advertising my aboriginal identity, but personally, I don't feel that I should have anything to hide at all." 

Today, she is one of the most well-known singers across China, releasing her 15th studio album plus a new single this year. Although, it hasn't been an entirely smooth journey for the musician once hailed by Time Magazine as an "Asian Hero". She was temporarily banned from performing in mainland China because she sang Taiwan's anthem at the inauguration of former President Chen Shui-bian in 2000. 

A-mei says getting caught-up in the sensitive cross-straits relationship was something that was out of her control: "All the added reputations upon me are not something I can control. So I only hope that prominent figures do not place too much complication upon professional artists because we all hope that everyone is good." 

She continues: "In my opinion, the big issue about the relationship between two sides is not something I could comment on because I don't think that I am qualified to comment on it. To me, it's very simple - I am a singer, so there shouldn't be so many complicated relationships added upon me." 

A-mei also shares with Anjali Rao how close she was to her late father who encouraged her singing and success. She recalls how devastated she was when he died before being able to see her win a national singing competition. "That time was really depressing for me. I even felt a bit resentful toward him. I'd think ‘why couldn't you stay alive longer to see me win the competition? I tried really hard and I did it. I wanted you to clap for me'. But he died before I could win the contest." 

Despite being adored by fans around the world who revere her unique music and stage performances, A-mei still looks to her father to keep her going in her career: "I've gotten into the habit of talking to my father regardless of what I do. I ask him to give me courage to continue pursuing my dreams. And when I do succeed, I hope that he's smiling and proud of me up there in heaven." 

Highlights of A-Mei's interview with TALK ASIA will be available online at www.cnn.com/talkasia after the first airing. 

http://cnnasiapacific.net/press/en/content/679/

0 意見:

張貼留言

謝謝您的留言,留言時請註名留言者姓名,這樣,我才會知道你速隨哦!

 

吉利事務所 Design by Insight © 2009